Our Shenandoah Business Group (SBG) mission is to provide a forum to make networking connections and promote the growth of each other’s business. Our focus is to support and promote each other professionally.
SBG members are local business owners, salespersons and professionals, offering quality products and services.
- Members share products and services with each other, exchange direct business referrals, and build long-term professional relationships.
- Member are given the opportunity to inform and update the group on their field of expertise so that each member can better understand the quality of services offered and better support each other.
- SBG is not an exclusive group. Our members promote healthy competitions and improve synergies, learning from each other.
- Members should be on a constant watch for other professionals to join our group, thus increasing our sphere of influence.
In August of 2010, local realtor and Shenandoah Homeowners Association President Andy O’Boyle wanted to begin a business networking group for residents of the Shenandoah community in Davie. He contacted the town of Davie to request use of the community building in Shenandoah Park for weekly networking meetings. It was decided that the opportunity should be open to nonresidents as well and meetings were held on Tuesday mornings. Thanks, mainly to his effort and with the assistance of other board members and residents the group thrived, and business opportunities were developed. It continued there until June of 2016 when meetings were suspended for the summer.
SBG 2.0 restarted in September 2016 with a new location. The scheduled was changed to an alternate week format and moved to Lester’s Diner in Sunrise. The membership is primarily comprised of licensed professionals, business owners, and salespeople in a wide range of industries. Members learn about the products and services offered by other members and how to identify prospects likely to benefit. Complementary relationships developed, such as between realtors and mortgage professionals and life insurance agents and estate planning attorneys.
Members find that relationships developed through networking produces consistent opportunities and closes at higher rates than other forms of marketing. Many have reported that business developed through networking represents a significant portion of their total revenue. We still maintain an affordable fee structure with the goal of letting members keep more of what their networking efforts put in their pockets.
What Happens in the Meetings?
Meeting are conducted in a semi-private section of Lester’s Diner in Sunrise. Members begin arriving around 7AM for breakfast and pre-meeting open networking. Shortly after 7:30 the meeting is called to order with opening remarks and the reading of the mission statement. First time attendees are recognized and welcomed. Housekeeping items are reviewed. Next is the member commercial messages which we ask last no longer than 90 seconds. Members have the opportunity to update and inform members about what is happening in their industry and how prospects can benefit from their products and services.
At each meeting, one active pre-appointed SBG member, has up to 15 minutes to educate other members in greater depth, about the features and benefits of working with their organization followed by a brief Q&A session. Once again, each member is given the opportunity to give a referral or testimonial, inform the group about an upcoming event or cite a networking success. We then conduct the 50/50 drawing, give closing remarks and confirm the date for the next meeting.
Note for First-time Visitors
- Make sure you are at the meeting place by 7:20am.
- Bring plenty of business cards to distribute to attendees.
- Prepare a one-minute presentation of your business, who you are, what you expect and who is a good referral for you.
- The dues for every meeting are $5. Your food consumption cost is your responsibility. Lester’s has kindly offered a 10% discount on checks over $10 that will be applied to your check at the register if you mention you are a member of SBG.
- Attendees are encouraged to participate in the 50/50 raffle for an additional $5.00. 50% is retained by SBG for ongoing expenses and 50% is awarded to the holder of the winning ticket. Members who sponsor a first-time visitor will be awarded 2 bonus tickets in the drawing